Immigration Services

Call Us Now

(780) 800-0113

Express Entry is a system that qualifies all applicants based on points to be eligible to apply for permanent residency. At Immigration Nation we have the expertise to support our clients increase their points, improve their immigration standing and support them across every step.

Read More

As a Permanent Resident or a Citizen you have the right to sponsor your spouse to live with you indefinitely in Canada. At Immigration Nation we have extensive expertise in supporting with inland and outland sponsorship applications and promoting applicants’ success.

Read More

Most provinces and territories have distinct Immigration Nomination Programs that helps that province grow, develop and acquire highly talented workers. At Immigration Nation, we specialize with all kinds of PNP programs including AINP–Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program applications.

Read More

As Canada is one of the Best Countries in the World with high GDP per Capita, it’s considered a prime immigration destination for many workers around the world. At immigration Nation, we have the expertise to support with all types of work permits and LMIA applications.

Read More

There is close to 250,000 international students that come to Canada to pursue their education whether it’s a Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor, Masters or PHD programs. At Immigration Nation our consultants will support with student visas and permit applications within Canada and for people living abroad.

Read More

Millions of people around the world visit Canada every year for the purpose of studying, working, leisure, business or meeting with their loved ones. At Immigration Nation we specialize in all kinds of temporary visas in Canada that include Super Visas and inland or outland visa applications.

Read More



We engage with hundreds of clients that always look for immigration help in Edmonton on a consistent basis. Our immigration services Edmonton centre provide custom based solutions for each individual client.
immigration services edmonton

Express Entry

Step 1: Potential candidates create an online Express Entry profile


To express your interest in coming to Canada as a skilled foreign worker:

  1. Take a language test in English and/or French. If you were educated outside of Canada, you may also need to have your education assessed against Canadian standards.
  2. Create an online Express Entry profile and tell us about your skills, work experience, language ability, education and other details.
  3. If you meet the criteria of one of the federal economic immigration programs under Express Entry, you will be placed in a pool of pre-screened candidates.

If you have a valid job offer, you can get additional points.

If you are in the Express Entry pool, you can start your job search by creating a Job Match account with Job Bank. If you don’t have a job when you come to Canada, you can continue using Job Bank to find a job.

Express Entry pool

You will be given a score to determine your place in the Express Entry pool using a Comprehensive Ranking System. This system includes factors known to contribute to economic success (such as language, education and work experience).

There are regular rounds of invitations to apply for permanent residence sent to candidates in the Express Entry pool. Candidates with the highest scores will be invited to apply.

Your profile in the Express Entry pool will be valid for 12 months. During that time, you will need to update your profile if anything changes, such as your level of education or language test results.

Filling out an online Express Entry profile is not a guarantee that you will qualify for permanent residence. If you are invited to apply for permanent residence, the details in your Express Entry profile will be verified at that time.

Step 2: Selected candidates are invited to apply for permanent residence online

You will be invited to apply for permanent residence if you:

  • have been nominated by a province or territory or
  • are among the top ranked in the pool based on your skills and experience

The majority of complete permanent residence applications are processed within six months or less.

If you are in the Express Entry pool and are not invited to apply for permanent residence after 12 months, you can re-submit your profile and re-enter the pool if you still meet the criteria.

Family Sponsorship

What it means to sponsor someone


When you agree to sponsor, you sign an undertaking, promising to give financial support for the basic needs of the people you’re sponsoring, and any of their dependent children.

Basic needs include:

  • food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living
  • dental care, eye care and other health needs not covered by public health services

Before signing the undertaking agreement, you should make sure that those you sponsor won’t need to ask the government for financial help. If they receive social assistance, you’ll need to pay back what they received. You won’t be able to sponsor anyone else until you have repaid the amount.

The undertaking is a binding promise of support, meaning that it is your responsibility to support the applicant(s) for the length of the undertaking period even if your situation changes. For example, the undertaking won’t be cancelled even if:

  • the person you are sponsoring becomes a Canadian citizen
  • you become divorced, separated or your relationship with the sponsored person breaks down
  • you or the person you sponsor moves to another province or country
  • you have financial problems

The length of time you are legally responsible for the person you sponsor varies based on the type of family member you are sponsoring, and is either 3 or 10 years for non-residents of Quebec. Quebec has different undertaking length.

Who can become a sponsor

You can become a sponsor if you are:

  • at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:
    • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative(s) become(s) a permanent resident.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;
  • can provide for the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring (and in some limited situations, that you meet the low-income cut-off).

Note: There is no low income cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships, unless a dependent child also has one or more dependent children of their own. If a dependent child you are sponsoring has one or more dependent children of their own.

Who you can sponsor

To be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependants must not be inadmissible to Canada.

Regarding family sponsorship in Canada you can sponsor:

Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if:

  • they are at least 18 years old
  • your relationship is genuine (real) and wasn’t entered into just to get permanent resident status in Canada

If your spouse or common-law partner is applying in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, they must already co-habit (live) with you in Canada.

Important: A conjugal partner is, in relation to a sponsor, a foreign national residing outside Canada who has been in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year. A foreign national residing inside Canada cannot be sponsored as a conjugal partner.

Dependent child

If you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner, any dependent children should be listed on their application forms. If you are sponsoring one or more dependent child(ren) as the principal applicant(s), you must submit a complete set of application forms and documents for each child.

Note: Canadian citizens can’t be sponsored. If you have a child who was born after you became a Canadian citizen, or your child was born in Canada, they might be a Canadian citizen.

Provincial Nomination


How you will apply depends on which Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) stream you are applying to. You might need to apply using the paper-based process, or the online process through Express Entry.

In both cases, you must apply in two stages:

  1. First, you must decide where you want to live in Canada and apply to that province or territory for a nomination. They will review your application based on:
    • their immigration needs,
    • if you really plan to live there, and,
    • for Express Entry only—if you meet the minimum criteria of at least one of the federal immigration programs covered by Express Entry.

    Note: If you are creating an Express Entry profile, you will be asked which provinces and territories you are interested in. They may contact you and ask you to submit a PNP application so they can nominate you. If you already have a nomination, you must show this in your profile.

    The criteria by province and territory vary and can change without notice. To be nominated, you must follow the instructions on their website and contact them directly.

  2. After a province or territory nominates you, you must apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for permanent residence. We will assess your application based on Canadian immigration law.
    • If your nomination is through Express Entry, you must be invited to apply by IRCC before you can submit an electronic application for permanent residence.

    As part of the process, you will have to pass a medical exam and get a police check (certificate). All immigrants must have these checks, no matter where they plan to live in Canada.

Decide which process you will use

The application process is determined by the PNP stream that you are applying for. There is a paper based process and an electronic process.

In the paper-based process:

  • You apply to the province or territory for nomination under a non-Express Entry stream
  • You need to meet the eligibility requirements of the province that nominates you
  • Once you have been nominated, you submit a paper application for permanent residence to IRCC
  • Application processing times are longer than through Express Entry

In the online Express Entry process, there are two ways to apply:

  • You contact the province or territory and apply for a nomination under an Express Entry stream
  • If the province or territory agrees to nominate you, you create an Express Entry profile (or update your profile if you already have one) and show you have been nominated


  • You create an Express Entry profile and show the provinces and territories you are interested in
  • If a province or territory sends you a “notification of interest” to your account, you contact them directly
  • You apply to their Express Entry stream

In both cases:

  • You must meet the eligibility requirements of the province or territory, and
  • You must submit an Express Entry profile and show that you meet the minimum criteria for Express Entry, including being eligible for one of the immigration programs it covers
  • If you are invited to apply, you submit an electronic application to IRCC
  • We expect to process most Express Entry applications in 6 months or less.

Temporary Foreign Workers

Each year, more than 300,000 foreign workers come to work in Canada on Temporary Work Permits.


In order to work in Canada on a temporary basis, most foreign workers require a work permit.

For foreign workers, an offer of employment from a Canadian employer is usually required before the worker may be granted a Temporary Work Permit by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). There are several steps to this process. Depending upon the foreign worker’s country of citizenship, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also need to be obtained in order to enter Canada.

  • Step 1: Employer applies for Labour Market Impact Assessment, if necessary.
  • Step 2: Employer extends Temporary Job Offer.
  • Step 3: Foreign Worker applies for Work Permit.
  • Step 4: Work Permit is issued.

Step 1: Employer applies for Labour Market Impact Assessment, if necessary.

Before a Temporary Work Permit can be issued, the Canadian employer who wishes to hire a temporary foreign worker may need to apply for and be granted a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) by ESDC, which will grant a positive LMIA if it is satisfied that there is no Canadian citizen or permanent resident is available to do the job.

Work Permits may be issued by Canadian immigration officials without the LMIA requirement in a limited number of situations, as follows:

  • Under international agreements, such as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA);
  • Due to the significant economic, social or cultural benefits the work activity will bring to Canadians;
  • As part of reciprocal agreements Canada and its provinces/territories have entered into with other countries, such as youth and teacher exchange programs;
  • So that international students studying in Canada can fulfill academic requirements, known as co-op placements;
  • To allow the spouses/common-law partners of Work Permit and certain Study Permit holders in Canada to work in Canada;
  • Because the nature of the work is charitable or religious;
  • In recognition that certain persons in Canada for reasons other than the above-mentioned, such as the making of a refugee claim, need to support themselves.

Step 2: Employer extends Temporary Job Offer.

Once the LMIA is granted, the Canadian employer can provide a temporary job offer to the foreign worker. The employer must send a copy of the positive LMIA along with a detailed job offer letter to the foreign worker.

Step 3: Foreign Worker applies for Work Permit.

With these documents, the foreign worker can apply to ESDC for a Canada Temporary Work Permit.

If the Canadian employer that is hiring is in the province of Quebec, the foreign worker may also need to obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) in order to work temporarily in Quebec. There are a number of professions in Quebec that are ‘facilitated’ and eligible for streamlined processing. Local recruitment efforts do not need to be performed by employers as part of their applications to hire temporary foreign workers for these positions in Quebec.

Step 4: Work Permit is issued.

A Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer will issue the Canada Temporary Work Permit at the point of entry when the foreign worker arrives in Canada.


What is a study permit?


The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada.

While studying in Canada under a study permit you must:

  • always be enrolled at a DLI
  • make progress towards completing your program
  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:

  • the level of studies you can attend
  • if you are allowed to work in Canada
  • if you can’t travel within Canada
  • the date you must stop studying

Note: Your study permit is not a visa. It alone doesn’t allow you to enter Canada. You may also need a temporary resident visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If so, we will issue it as part of your study permit application.

How long can you stay in Canada with a study permit?

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. This extra time lets you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

  • If you can’t finish your courses before the date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay as a student.
  • If you finish your studies early, your permit will stop being valid 90 days after you complete your studies (no matter what day is printed on the study permit).You have completed your studies either
    • on the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) or
    • when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

    You must prove provide proof of the date you got one of these.

    Note: If you can’t prove the date you were first notified by your school, we will use the earliest issue date on the document. We may need to confirm this date with your school.

Can you go back home while studying?

If you plan to leave Canada during a scheduled break (such as the summer, or winter holidays and spring break), you may need to show proof you are enrolled in your school when you return to Canada. If you came here on:

  • a visa, you also need to make sure it is still valid.
  • an electronic travel authorization (eTA), and you leave and return to Canada by air, you will need to make sure it is still valid.

Your study permit is not a visa.

People who don’t need a permit to study in Canada

Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. The cases below are exceptions.

Short-term studies (six months or less)

You can study at any school in Canada without a study permit if:

  • your course or program is for six months or less
  • your studies aren’t part of a longer program and
  • you will complete all your studies within the time we approved you to stay in Canada (usually six months after you enter).

Temporary Resident Visa

Who are Visitors?


Visitors are persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada, and are legally authorized to enter Canada to:

  • visit Canada on holiday (vacation),
  • visit family,
  • conduct business, etc.

Visitors are restricted in length of stay and subject to various conditions.

Do I need a Temporary Resident Visa?

Persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may require a visa to enter Canada. The requirement for a visa also applies to temporary residents who are transiting in Canada. Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa.

If you do not require a visa to enter Canada, you may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Find out if you need an eTA.


What is a Temporary Resident Visa?

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).


What are the requirements you must meet for a TRV?

You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.

You must also:

  • satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay,
  • show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home,
  • not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so,
  • be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity,
  • not be a risk to the security of Canada,
  • provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish your admissibility, and
  • be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).


Whether your applcation got refused or your temporary residence is about to expire, we are here to help you with any immigration issue.

Scroll to Top
Call Now ButtonCall Us To Learn More