How to Get a Post-Graduation Work Permit?

A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) is for those who have graduated from a designated learning institution and want to stay in Canada temporarily to work. A designated learning institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. You can see the full list of designated learning institutions here.

You have up to 180 days after you graduate to apply for a PGWP. To apply you need to confirm that you attended & completed your program, the name of the program and the length of your program. You also must apply to extend your study permit before it expired, and no decision has been made on your application. 

If your study permit will expire before you get your marks you can apply for a visitor record to stay in Canada longer or leave Canada and apply for your PGWP. 

Eligibility Requirements

The program you completed must have been at least 8 months long and led to a degree, diploma, or certificate. You must have maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program; this does not include your final semester which can be part-time. 

You must have graduated from a

  • public post-secondary institution.
  • a private post-secondary in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public institutions.
  • a private or public secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, that led to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS) or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)
  • a Canadian private institution that is authorized to award degrees under provincial law but only if you’re enrolled in a study program that leads to a degree as authorized by the province, which may not include all programs of study offered by the private institution.

Outside Canada Applicants

You could apply for PGWP if you completed your studies online from outside Canada. You qualify if you were enrolled in a program that was in progress in March 2020 or started or will start a program between spring 2020 and summer 2022. You have a study permit, or you’ve been approved for a study permit, or you applied for a study permit before starting your study program (your study permit must eventually be approved.)

Required Documents

To prove that you completed your studies you will need a degree or diploma, an official letter from your school and an official transcript or a copy of the transcript from your school’s website. Additional documentation may be requested once your application is received. 

You can apply for a PGWP online. Need help with your application? Contact one of our trusted immigration consultants today!


Government of Canada. (n.d.). Work in Canada after you graduate. Retrieved from Government of Canada:

Scroll to Top
Contact Us