Who Can You Sponsor Under Family Sponsorship?

If you are at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act, or a permanent resident of Canada you can sponsor relatives to come live, study and work in Canada. 

Wondering who you can sponsor under family sponsorship? The following list includes all the different categories:

Spouse: Of either sex who is legally married to you and at least 18 years old.

Common-Law Partner: Isn’t legally married, of either sex and is at least 18 years old and has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months without any long periods apart.

Conjugal Partner: Not married or common-law, of either sex, at least 18 years old and has been in a relationship with you for at least 1 year. They live outside of Canada and can’t live with you in their country or marry you because of legal and immigration reasons such as marital status, sexual orientation, or persecution. 

Dependent Children: Children under 22 years old who do not have a spouse or common-law partner. Children older than 22 can qualify if they are unable to support themselves financially due to a mental or physical condition or have depended on their parents for financial support since before, they turned 22. 

You can also sponsor adopted children.

Parents & Grandparents: You can sponsor your parents & grandparents if they are a couple, one would be designated as the principal applicant while the other would be the dependant.

You can also sponsor a stepparent along with your parent as a dependant.

You cannot sponsor your in-laws but can be a co-signor on their application.

Orphaned Brother, Sister, Nephew, Niece, or Grandchild: If they are related to you by blood or adoption, both their parents passed away, they are under 18 years of age and are single.

You cannot sponsor them if their parents abandoned them, are still alive, or the parents are in jail or otherwise detained.

Other Relative: You can sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption of any age if you do not have a living relative you could sponsor instead, or you do not have any relatives who are already in Canada. 

You cannot sponsor someone who is not allowed to come to Canada due to security, criminal or medical reasons. You can read more about who is inadmissible here.

Ready to get started or have some questions? Contact one of our professional Immigration Consultants today! Call 780-800-0113.


Canada, G. o. (n.d.). Family sponsorship. Retrieved from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship.html

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top
Contact Us